Monday, November 21, 2005

Hurrahs all round

Hurrah! I have reasons to celebrate!

Firstly, the simpler of the two - last night, I had my first ever poker win of £10. Hurrah!

And now to the second, a slightly complicated tale. I apologise if the following makes no sense, telling an abbreviated version of this story is a bit like trying to fit the dictionary on a piece of A4 paper...

Last term, at my dear institution of higher learning, we were given four choices to pick from for our final course this year. These included the following: Documentary II (following on from Documentary I which was subsequently cancelled), Hollywood Comedian Comedy, Race and Ethnicity and Post 1960s British Cinema. Eager as beavers, we all signed up to our chosen courses, with many people choosing the comedy course or British cinema.

A few weeks later, word spread that Documentary I and II had been cancelled. Annoyance levels were high as this was one of the most in demand courses offered -every film studies major I'm friendly with selected this as their first choice- but then we were struck with another blow, Comedy was cancelled.

So now, we had two choices- Race and Ethnicity or British Cinema, except that there wasn't really a choice as they carried different weighting - 18 and 30 credits respectably. Therefore, if you were a major, as I am, you had no choice in which course you were put on. Suddenly, my entire film class was to be reunited in Race and Ethnicity, the only choice out of the original four. Let me mention at this point that weighting was NOT mentioned when we were given our choice forms in the previous academic year.
Nor was the fact that our department was to merge with the Media Studies department and that the film students would be forced to do media courses for the duration of the Autumn term. There is no love lost between these two departments on a good day, so tensions were at an all time high.

Hence the already agrieved film students becoming even more agitated when we found out that we were being effectively farmed out to the Cultural Studies department, via Media. Cue much angry ranting at course tutors, writing of angry letters and petitions and finally, success.

On Thursday, we were all sent a very condescending email about how a 'small minority' of us would be allowed to do Hollywood Comedian Comedy. I will dig out the email in a future post, right now I'm still a little giddy from it all.

So Hurrah. Write the Wrong worked. Now, if only I could petition the beings above for warmer weather...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home