Thursday, February 16, 2006

Blast from the past

Another night past midnight, another illicit blog. It's becoming quite the habit these days. I thought I would share something weird that happened to me yesterday.

Sitting around in the evening, I noticed a new text message had come through sometime earlier. So I opened my inbox and let me tell you, I was surprised. The message was from my former best friend (hereby referred to as mfbf). Mfbf and I were best friends from the age of about 15. We'd known each other since we were 4 but only got to know each other when we ended up as lab partners in chemistry. And along with my current best friend, we ended up as a merry trio.

However, when I returned from six months of backpacking during my gap year, the cracks began to appear and within six months a series of events led to mfbf being removed from my circle of friends. I'm not going to lie to you- going from speaking five times a day to suddenly nothing wasn't fun. It was like losing one of my limbs but ultimately, I feel it was the better choice, at least for me.

This severance happened two years ago in January and since then, we've spoken once. Our friends have mostly known better than to put us in the same room, just in case. But apparently, when I spoke at her in general rather than to her specifically to correct her on some gossip about one of our other friends, she apparently saw this as an olive branch. Maybe it was some kind of subliminal one, I don't know.

But yesterday, she apparently saw it fit to text me. Apparently she saw me at a bus stop and wanted to offer me a lift to town but I had my ipod on and didn't hear her shouts or honks. I know that she probably didn't really want to offer me a lift, but let me know that she had finally passed her test. About bloody time.

I'll admit that rather than blank her (too childish), I sent her a civil reply that I was indeed deaf to the world with my ipod on. And that's how I'll be, civil.

Don't expect any reconcilliations.

On a more cheerful note, I was flicking through the my pictures file on my computer and ended up browsing through some photos from my trip to Morocco two years ago. Whilst I took most snaps with my trusty SLR, I took a few on my digital camera when we were on the Sahara location, nothing exciting, just lots of the scenery. So now you can be bored by my photographs of the sunrise coming up over some production trucks, including one with smoke from my cigarette:




Okay, now I'll go to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home