Tuesday, January 31, 2006

2:15

In response to Ben Brodie's question in a previous post's comments about the differences between American and British English, here's a very brief and very stoned summary of what I remember from last year's lectures:



its basically that the language took two very different paths after the pilgrims arrived in America- lots of socio, economic, political factors too but also simple reasons. Britain, in its proximity to European countries, adopts many words from other languages- we say autumn from I believe French, you say fall. Ditto words that you find in American English rather than in British (eg Racoon, etc), or same words with different meanings eg fag. If I find the essay I wrote on it, I'll post it up here or something.

Anyway, enough with the linguistic lessons for this evening, I have a seminar in the morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger adulescent said...

now, that would be telling.

1/31/2006 10:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home