Monday, January 02, 2006

Broken Promises

So, happy 2006. By now, most of you will have recovered from the screaming hangovers of yesterday, although I'm sure there are a few stragglers. It's a brilliant way to start a new year, isn't it? You wake up, no doubt smelling like you've slept in a barrel and then rolled in an ash tray, with bloodshot eyes and strange bruises dotted over your body and someone else's sick on your sleeve, as you slept in your party clothes.

Not exactly turning over a new leaf, are we now? So instead, we make resolutions, promising that this is the year I will lose that extra weight/give up smoking/save an endangered species etc. Our resolutions are further fuelled in the following weeks- the advertising gurus will be churning out adverts promoting the guilt that we all feel after this over-indulgent free for all. Lo and behold, fitness videos sales will go through the roof over the next few weeks, suddenly we all want spirituality and DeAgnosti recognise this need by relentlessly plugging their seasonally appropriate week-by-week magazine, in this case, £2.99 a week gets you a crystal and inner well being.

Those poor desperate people who buy this crap then spend the next two weeks huffing and puffing in their living rooms along to whichever celebrity needed a financial pick me up, before realising that its all a giant pile of bollocks and chucking on the shelf, along with all the others from previous new year fitness attempts, and probably the crystal magazine.

In office blocks up and down the country, those who've chosen to give up nicotine rather than food find themselves ripping the heads off their colleagues and snapping their pencils when their nicotine withdrawal kicks in. After about three days of suffering this nonsense, its only a matter of time before a co-worker coaxes them outside and gently administers a cigarette just to shut them up.

Instead of making grand gestures with my resolutions, I have decided instead to take it easy and in small steps:

1. I will try to be nicer to people, especially when I am angry. I will count to 10 before I unleash my fury. Then at least they have a head start if things get ugly.

2. I will check my email more often so that people stop being pissed off at me.

3. I will go to my screenings so that my tutor stops being pissed off.

4. I will resist the urge to use fuck as punctuation.

5. I will try to curb my topshop habit.*


Enjoy 2006, back next week, live from a decent internet connection. Until then, student, interrupted is, well, interrupted.

---
*maybe my drug habit too, but lets not get too enthusiastic here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home