Monday, March 13, 2006

Drinking and Pleading

What a weekend. First the DRINKING. I headed back to London on Saturday for one of my old school friend's birthdays and to meet an old friend from America who was over for a few days. We all trekked into zone one to go for dinner at Belgo's in Covent Garden, where we drank far more than we ate, probably because their drinks menu is bigger than their food menu.

Not a bad thing.

After dinner, we staggered out and into a cab to the very posh no. 5 in Cavendish Square. I have to admit, I'm not fond of these kind of clubs as unless you're willing to fork out £300 for a table, you are forced to stand like a groundling and the only way for someone on my budget to be able to afford drinks is to latch onto one of the sleazy old cigar smoking men sitting at one of the tables or the drunk Etonian weilding a charge card to Daddy's account. I reckon I could spot one at 30 paces - striped (usually blue) shirt, loafers and quiff, usually thrashing wildly to music, arms aloft and stepping on everyone around them, completely oblivious.

Yeuch.

Luckily, we were beyond drunk at this point and after some wheedling with those clutching the clipboards, we managed to cut our entry fee down, which meant we could all afford precisely one glass of wine each.

Probably because we were so battered, we all then got a bit overly excited when we spotted the girl who played Nikki on the brilliant As If on the tiny dancefloor.

I finally rolled in sometime after 4, collapsing in front of the TV, only to realise I was watching the previous day's episode of The Wright Stuff, whose topic was should swearing be a crime. I suddenly realised that this was probably quite useful for my dissertation and tried to take notes. Unfortunately, I was so incapacitated that this proved to be a far greater task than originally anticipated and I should probably just cut my losses.

Now for the PLEADING. I have a favour to ask. If you live in the UK, watch TV and have nothing better to do, I need YOU!

[does Uncle-Sam-pointy-finger-poster-imitation]

Please go yonder and complete my shortish questionnaire about attitudes towards swearing in general and in television. I pledge my undying love to those who do and even more love to those who happen to pass on the url to others.

http://websurveyor.net/wsb.dll/54975/survey.htm

Now, back to the aforementioned dissertation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home