Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Pancakes, Drugs and Microsoft

Oof. I hope you all had a good Shrove Tuesday. I'm still feeling a little bit queasy from the sheer volume of pancakes I consumed. Only 364 days til the next one, thank god. I don't think I could look at another pancake for a while.

Today, according to the ITV lunchtime news, the UK was named as the Cocaine capital of Europe by the UN. Crystal Meth and Cannabis were also cited as 'serious threats'. Considering that last week we had a Crystal Meth special on This Morning which stressed that CM isn't really that popular here, I'm a little confused. I've been offered a virtual rainbow of drugs in my lifetime but never Crystal Meth. And having seen the effects that it has on people, I'm not surprised that it's not seemingly popular, although let's be honest, that never stopped Heroin being passed around. I've read various things over the years with the problems in the US with CM, including a very graphic novel that pretty much sealed the deal on crossing that experience off my list but until recently, I'd never really seen anything on it in the UK. But then, I guess people have to get their kicks somehow.

As for weed, fair enough, smoking is bad. So is the possibility of unleashing the schizophrenia within. But there are millions of people across the world who spark up or chow down space cookies on a regular basis without being menaces to society. Probably because most of them are sitting at home on their sofas giggling at cartoons and eating whatever they can get their hands on. Something that's been around since 4000 BC ain't gonna disappear overnight.

Now, enough politics, more youtube goodies. Today's pick is a brilliant satire of Microsoft's overbranding:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home