Thursday, March 23, 2006

From the depths of narrowband

You may or may not have noticed that I've been gone, what, over a week now? Yeech. Sorry. The essays keep piling up next to me, as do the library books, and they don't seem to ever diminish.

I'll be honest, it's not all work work work though that's behind my disappearance. I meant to blog the afternoon after St. Patrick's Day but being a relative newcomer to the deviant that is Guinness, I wasn't quite prepared for the monster hangover the following day. It was epic. I became paranoid at one point that I'd done myself permanent damage, some kind of brain swelling or something, but in reality, it was more a case of lie down, shut up and wake up Sunday feeling almost normal.

Another reason for my disappearance is the lack of Broadband. I've had to return home in order to actually get some work done and as of yet, we're still waiting on our broadband. It's now 6 weeks and counting since we got the ball rolling, and I have to say, I'm impressed with just how incredibly useless AOL have turned out to be. Don't even get me started on the NTL side of the story, I could write a book about my previous battles with them.

Coming home also means that currently, at least until our broadband works, I'm having to use the mac. Although I was resistant at first, I'm gradually learning to deal with it, although I must stress the word gradually. One improvement I made was to go to PC World and buy a NORMAL mouse for it. Although mac mice are very elegant, they are absolutely bloody useless - not only does little rat not listen to where I want it to go, there's only one button. As a life long PC user, I was inconsolable -and increasingly infuriated- by the lack of a right click button. So out with the prettily designed but ultimately useless mouse and in with its uglier but smarter Belkin sister.

Anyway, on with more pressing matters than computer mice.

Those who read the comments will undoubtedly noticed the kind offer from Websurveyor.net. Well, dear Dryegor, I'm sorry to inform you that my university's English department is so underfunded and understaffed that they're cutting another two lecturers for the next academic year. Said teachers are already so overworked and underpaid, that I think that if I tried to add so much as a paperclip to their workload, they might go about trying to rip off one of my limbs. Plus, your analysis system didn't really do it for me anyway.

But thanks anyway.

Also, from the comments. Ben Brodie asked where's cheap and good to go in London. It took me about five minutes to claw my way back onto my seat from the floor, where I've been rolling around laughing. London is one of the most expensive cities in the world, nothing is cheap. Hell, we're not even allowed to drive into town for free. However, I'd offer the following advice:

1. Get an oyster card as soon as you can. Sadly, our evil Major, Ken Livingstone, has decided that cold hard money is apparently too complicated and time consuming. In order to stop people spending their cash, he's jacked up the prices for anyone who dare use a note to pay for their travelcard. As well as cutting the cost of your journey, it'll also save you money at various tourist attractions like the London Eye.

2. The hop-on-hop-off bus A very good way to see the proper sites, last time I had the pleasure it was about £15, expect higher prices. Pick a sunny day, sit on the top deck and wear a warm hat.

3. Tate Modern is a great way to spend a day, particularly if its raining and horrible outside. Lots of the exhibitions are free and I love it. End of.

4.Camden Market is also fun. Try to go on a weekend day when it's at its best but watch your bag! Lots of cheap and cheerful crap, plus loads of food stalls and the remaining odd eccentric.

Ultimately, invest in a guide book. And bring lots of money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home